Sunday, August 5, 2007

Week #9: Thing #20:You tube



They say video killed the radio star. I don't know about that because I had too much fun. I commute about 50 miles to work everyday and I listen to the Bone 107.7. Sometimes they do paradies of popular songs like " Dirty Deeds Done with Sheep for AC/DC's Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap, "Curry and Rice Girl" for Hullaback girl, and "The Devil went to Jamaica" for Charlie Daniles The devil went down Georgia. I thought the songs were funny, and on You tube I actually found the videos, I was laughing silly.


When I was in high school, we used to love babysitting at someone's house who had MTV. I had a blast from the past going through You tube and finding videos that I used to love to watch in high school. With all the reality shows on MTV, I don't watch it anymore. Now that I know about You Tube, I can always find videos I like or used to love. You Tube is also a great tool, if a patron comes to the library and asks for information on a video. For example: How many times has Dolly Patron's song "Jolene" been made into a music video? Go to You Tube to find the answer


On to the library side of things, I found the Conan the librarian video to be cool. Every year I show my first graders the Reading Rainbow video Alistar in Outer Space and it has a Conan the Librarian cartoon clip. Maybe this will empower students to learn the Dewey Decimal System or to return books on time. Library Dominoes reminded me of the wild dreams a kid has on playing dominoes with library books. As a kid, I would play with my grandparents dominos and try to do the domino effect. i also remember the question I got right on the MSAT, that communism was like a domino effect. Once the Berlin wall came down, it was the end to communism in Eastern Europe. I think the only communist countries left are: Cuba, Laos, China, Vietnam, and North Korea.


My favorite of all that I have to share is the 1987 Betty Glover Library Workout Tape ad. This was hilarious and brought me back down memory lane to things we don't see anymore like the old phonograph and card catalogs. Good for teaching library history ha!ha! Great 80's music too.

No comments: