Sunday, July 22, 2007

Week #6, Thing #14: Explore Technorati and learn how tags work with blog posts


When I first looked at Technorati in Week #4, I didn't like it, but now that I got to play with it a little more my opinions changed. When I searched School library learning 2.0 in blogs, I picked up some blogs of others doing the school library learning 2.0 course. A tag search basically only picked up words like 2.0.

I explored the popular blog searches and of course Harry Potter came up. Would you believe that i have never read any Harry Potter. I saw the movies. Harry Potter just does not interest me. Maybe because I don't like reading thick books about 300 pages to 4oo is my limit. I like Philip Pullman's His dark Materials trilogy and can't wait till Golden Compass comes out as a movie. I did find the technorati help site to be very informative and explain lots of blog terms to me. Its fun looking at blogs and if I was looking for a specific blog I might used technorati, but blogs don't always have the information that I would need to do research. I did a search on my blog and it came up. It said no authority yet. Wonder what that means.

Problem with tagging is that it's not structured. I find it easier if I want to search for something to find it with a google search. I enjoy blogging but not sure yet if I want to register with techorati and claim it. I also think we need to be careful when having students search as I did get some not so nice sites.

3 comments:

New Haven LMTs said...

OH NO! You are on a roll, now comes some late nights. CRV

Liz Dodds said...

Wow- a non-Harry Potter fan! I know lots of people are looking forward to the Golden Compass movie.
I have reservations about technorati too.

SLC said...

You are doing great. I know its hard for you because you are teaching too. Keep plugging away. What people want to use regarding technology is very personal. One man's meat is another man's poisen. The idea is to explore what's there and use what works best for you.